[openstack-dev] RFC: last minute changes to Oslo library versioning and naming

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Mar 6 05:44:04 UTC 2013

On 03/06/2013 04:29 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>   - If changes like this are such a huge hassle for Debian packagers,
>     then Debian probably shouldn't be packaging pre-release OpenStack

I have waited until G3 was tagged in github. It was supposed to be
frozen. Now, you are saying it is normal to expect changes after the
freeze. I can't agree with your reasoning.

>   - This is an awful lot of verbiage about something that is a little
>     painful to me as a packager and other packagers have also replied
>     "uggh, but ok ... not a huge deal"

I'm sorry if what I'm replying isn't what you expected. Maybe you're not
used to how things work inside Debian. But do not worry too much though,
I'll deal happily with what ever happens.

> Again, my case for biting the bullet and going with this:
>
>   - Only a pre-release development snapshot has been made available so
>     far

It's not "only a pre-release development snapshot" as you wrote. It is
the "first frozen snapshot". Huge difference! My reaction is normal and
should be expected.

>   - We're changing the versioning scheme, which is disruptive anyway

The version change isn't disruptive. The version number going backward
means only adding an EPOCH (eg: my work is basically adding the 2 chars
"1:" in the debian/changelog, commit that, and move on). It's just that
it's ugly, as this doesn't show in the source package filename (which is
less convenient for our users).

We can live with that, no problem. You have my go ahead as well still,
and so far, nobody opposed to that change!

>   - We're all agreed that oslo.config naming makes more sense than
>     oslo-config

Yes. We all agree on that fact. All of us, me included! \o/

What we don't agree, is that that the naming scheme is so much a big
deal, that it deserves working around with the consequences of a rename,
at this point in time. :/

>   - Debian can choose to stick with the python-oslo-config name if
>     renaming to python-oslo.config is so much hassle

After some thoughts, I will follow what Ubuntu guys decide, given my
opinion (which they already know), because I care about consistency for
our users. Since the very first upload in Debian 2 years ago, I've
always tried to reduce differences, not increase them.

So, to sum up:
- go ahead but don't expect my blessing as it really is breaking things
- if it happens, make it happen fast
- lastly, expect more rant from me if such breakage happens again! ;)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)