[openstack-dev] RFC: last minute changes to Oslo library versioning and naming

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Mar 5 20:29:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 02:05 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 03/05/2013 10:02 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > In practical terms, I'm proposing doing:
> >
> >  -package = 'oslo-config'
> >  -version = '2013.1'
> >  +package = 'oslo.config'
> >  +version = '1.1.0'
> >
> > in oslo-config's setup.py
>
> I'm sorry, I will have to be the bad guy complaining and ranting here. I
> hate to do so, but I have to explain what the consequences can be, since
> it doesn't seem to be understood or known.

I can't really advise you on what to do about Debian packages or not
conflicting with what Ubuntu are doing - you're best placed to figure
that out.

A few things strike me as odd, though:

  - If changes like this are such a huge hassle for Debian packagers,
    then Debian probably shouldn't be packaging pre-release OpenStack

  - There's not much you can do about coordinating with Ubuntu, if they
    go ahead with their own approach anyway

  - This is an awful lot of verbiage about something that is a little
    painful to me as a packager and other packagers have also replied
    "uggh, but ok ... not a huge deal"

Again, my case for biting the bullet and going with this:

  - Only a pre-release development snapshot has been made available so
    far

  - We're changing the versioning scheme, which is disruptive anyway

  - We're all agreed that oslo.config naming makes more sense than
    oslo-config

  - Debian can choose to stick with the python-oslo-config name if
    renaming to python-oslo.config is so much hassle

Thanks,
Mark.