[openstack-dev] [networking] A consideration about config files and deployment issues

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 17:45:41 UTC 2013

On 06/28/2013 01:26 PM, Armando Migliaccio wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I appreciate that there is a strong awareness within the dev community
> to ensure that OpenStack gets easier and easier to be deployed, upgraded
> and maintained, however I would like to invite core reviewers to think
> (even) harder about the implications that changes to config files may
> have for the poor sysadmin guy who has the job of
> running OpenStack-based clouds (or packagers for that matter).

or folks writing Chef cookbooks / Puppet modules that create the config
files from templates! :)

Having just gone through this effort for the OpenStack Network Chef
cookbook [1], I can say definitively that it was a major pain in the
butt to templatize that database config section for every single Quantum
plugin.

My only complaint is that the changes weren't completed before I went
through the effort ;)

> I don't want to pick up on any specific committer/reviewer, but review
> [1] got me thinking on how patches that tweak configuration files are
> taken somewhat lightly. The particular change in question has not only
> implications on how devstack generates these files (and I don't see any
> devstack patch counter-part currently in review, or being merged to deal
> with the Neutron change - apology if there is but I couldn't find it),
> but also implications for Puppet or Chef recipes that rely on config
> templates based on what etc folders of every project contain.
>
> Luckily enough the implications in this specific case are innocuous, but
> I have personally gotten burnt too many times in the past on this very
> issue: config files are changed too often without thinking too hard to
> what it means for who needs to maintain instantiations of these files
> across multiple releases.
>
> This is not meant to be rant, just a kind reminder :)

Yes, a gentle reminder out to the -operators or -dev mailing list each
time a config file is changed would be most welcome!

Best,
-jay

[1] http://github.com/stackforge/cookbook-openstack-network