[openstack-dev] [networking] A consideration about config files and deployment issues

Armando Migliaccio amigliaccio at nicira.com
Fri Jun 28 17:26:43 UTC 2013

Folks,

I appreciate that there is a strong awareness within the dev community to
ensure that OpenStack gets easier and easier to be deployed, upgraded and
maintained, however I would like to invite core reviewers to think (even)
harder about the implications that changes to config files may have for the
poor sysadmin guy who has the job of running OpenStack-based clouds (or
packagers for that matter).

I don't want to pick up on any specific committer/reviewer, but review [1]
got me thinking on how patches that tweak configuration files are taken
somewhat lightly. The particular change in question has not only
implications on how devstack generates these files (and I don't see any
devstack patch counter-part currently in review, or being merged to deal
with the Neutron change - apology if there is but I couldn't find it), but
also implications for Puppet or Chef recipes that rely on config templates
based on what etc folders of every project contain.

Luckily enough the implications in this specific case are innocuous, but I
have personally gotten burnt too many times in the past on this very issue:
config files are changed too often without thinking too hard to what it
means for who needs to maintain instantiations of these files across
multiple releases.

This is not meant to be rant, just a kind reminder :)

Many thanks,
Armando

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/34515