[openstack-dev] OpenStack Programs

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Tue Jun 25 18:42:32 UTC 2013

I like the programs idea and the direction this thread is going.

As we reconsider the relationship of repos and programs to the OpenStack
project, I think we should include one more aspect of taxonomy.

We have several orgs on github related to openstack:

  openstack/
  openstack-infra/
  openstack-dev/
  openstack-ci/  (defunct)

We've traditionally only put (what we now call) components of the
integrated release and their libraries in the openstack org.  We put
repos that relate to operation of the project infrastructure in
openstack-infra, and everything else in openstack-dev (devstack,
grenade, hacking, pbr, etc.).

I propose that in the future, we adopt the following strategy:

 * Any repo associated with an official OpenStack program is entitled to
   use the openstack org.
 * Programs may request an org for their program, with justification,
   but in general we should limit the number of orgs in use.

I expect that most of the repos currently under openstack-dev will
belong to official projects and can be moved into openstack, and we can
retire openstack-dev.

I believe that the openstack-infra org is useful, particularly because
of the large number of repositories, many of which have nothing to do
with OpenStack itself.  Because openstack-infra is concerned with the
operation of the OpenStack project, we should continue to have a
separate org for it.

In the long run, I think the additional clarity around how programs and
their repos relate to the OpenStack project will help us know where to
put new repositories, and the reduced number of openstack-related
organizations will help people find what they're looking for.

-Jim