[openstack-dev] [RFC] Remove nova plugins framework

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jun 19 08:53:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-06-19 at 10:20 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > We merged a plugins framework[1] into Nova[2] and oslo-incubator[3]
> > almost a year ago and AFAICT hasn't seen use beyond the two initial
> > wikimedia extensions[4][5] for Nova.
>
> I'd suggest to be a bit careful with that... It's a bit hard to tell
> whether it's being used, since some parties may take advantage of this
> plugin framework and we don't really know about them.
>
> Maybe ask about anyone using those on the general ML ? Can it be
> "deprecated" in Havana instead of removed ?

Well, the implication of that would be oslo.messaging supporting an API
that we won't need in future.

It's not totally clear what our level of support is for external plugins
like this is. Certainly the API extensions hooks in Nova aren't
something we've committed to maintaining API stability around.

Which means that this interface is unstable. If you were using it in
Folsom or Grizzly, you have to be prepared for it to change in Havana.

And the change isn't actually as big a deal as it sounds even for people
who may we using it - you just register your API extensions via the
osapi_compute_extension config option and your notification driver via
the notification_driver config option. There's a very clear migration
path.

> I also CCed Andrew Boggott (original author) to make sure he is aware of
> this discussion.

Yeah, I did too - mailman just stripped the CC in the copy it sent to
the list. Rather annoying.

Cheers,
Mark.