[openstack-dev] Urgent PBR code reviews

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Jun 11 09:56:08 UTC 2013

Hi Julien,

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 10:58 +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to emphasize that Ceilometer CI is failing for now 5 days, and
> that we can't get anything merged, due to a pbr issue. Monty has fixed
> this a few day ago, but it would be really great if we could speed up
> things by reviewing, approving his work and get a new release:
>
>      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack-dev/pbr+branch:master+topic:27519,n,z

I don't think the issue here is "people aren't reviewing fast enough",
frankly. The patches are getting a pretty decent amount of attention
from reviewers.

There are a bunch of issues we need to think about here:

  - I don't see a bug report for this:

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/pbr
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer

    I've just dug about and found e.g.:

      http://logs.openstack.org/32108/1/check/gate-ceilometer-python27/2657/console.html.gz

      pkg_resources.VersionConflict: (requests 1.2.3 (/home/jenkins/workspace/gate-ceilometer-python27/.tox/py27/lib/python2.7/site-packages), Requirement.parse('requests>=1.1,<1.2.1'))

    Is that the issue?

    The details should be in a Critical bug.

  - It's not clear to me what change in pbr caused the problem. Was it
    the use of easy_install ?

      https://review.openstack.org/31778

  - Whatever the patch that caused the issue was, why haven't we
    reverted it?

  - If we can't revert it, why haven't we just removed the broken pbr
    version from pypi?

  - Which of Monty's 9 patches fixes the issue?

      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack-dev/pbr+status:open+owner:mordred,n,z

    Does it depend on patches which aren't absolutely required to fix
    this critical issue?

  - We now have this ceilometer issue, an issue with quantumclient:

      https://bugs.launchpad.net/pbr/+bug/1187452

    and a oslo.config related issue:

      https://review.openstack.org/30938

    all waiting on a fixed pbr release.

I'm going to review the latest updates to the patches, but at a time
like this we actually need the minimum possible churn and some clear
thinking ... not super fast reviewing of a big stack of changes. What's
the quickest and least risky thing we can do to get Ceilometer
unblocked?

Cheers,
Mark.