[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Reminder: meetings on Mondays

Jing CDL Sun sjing at cn.ibm.com
Tue Jun 4 03:05:16 UTC 2013

Thank you,

I will start the study on the diskimage-builder project :)

Thx.
Jing.

Devananda van der Veen <devananda.vdv at gmail.com>
2013/06/04 01:19
Please respond to
OpenStack Development Mailing List <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>

cc

Subject
Re: [openstack-dev] [Ironic] Reminder: meetings on Mondays

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Jing CDL Sun <sjing at cn.ibm.com> wrote:
Hi Devanana and all,

I'd very glad to attend the Ironic weekly meeting, while since I'm in
China, the time difference is a problem for me :) but I did read through
each meeting minutes - the robot is great!

I have one thought in my mind for a long time, but not sure if it could be
approved by you guys, I posted it here since I can not talk about it in
IRC meeting, please let me know if this is not the right place, Thx.

I tried the opentack baremetal provisioning, and found sometimes it would
be a problem for me to enroll the hardware information, I might not know
these information or I mixed it up since I have many different-type
servers, it would be better if we could provide an automatic mechanism so
the admin can run a command(or something like this), then the reqquired
hardware information could be return or enrolled into db directly.

I searched in Ironic BP list, and found
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/discovery-ramdisk, very
similar with my thoughts. It's approved but not started yet, may I be
lucky to work on this? I think it will be a useful feature for the users.

Thx.
Jing.

Hi Jing!

Yes, this is on the roadmap for Ironic. I have outlined the requirements
in the blueprint, and more detail is probably needed. Right now, we are
focusing on implementing the essential components of the Ironic project
and reaching functional parity with Nova's Baremetal driver, so new
features like a discovery ramdisk are lower priority. Until the PXE driver
is ported, Ironic does not have the capability to boot any images.

If you want to work on the discovery ramdisk, please start by looking at
the diskimage-builder project. We use that to build the deploy ramdisk.
The first step would be to add a hardware-interrogation element that can
be incorporated into a ramdisk. After that, we will need to consider an
interface for posting that information back to Ironic, and a method for
authenticating it.

Regards,
OpenStack-dev mailing list
OpenStack-dev at lists.openstack.org