[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Reminder: meetings on Mondays

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 17:19:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Jing CDL Sun <sjing at cn.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Devanana and all,
>
> I'd very glad to attend the Ironic weekly meeting, while since I'm in
> China, the time difference is a problem for me :) but I did read through
> each meeting minutes - the robot is great!
>
> I have one thought in my mind for a long time, but not sure if it could be
> approved by you guys, I posted it here since I can not talk about it in IRC
> meeting, please let me know if this is not the right place, Thx.
>
> I tried the opentack baremetal provisioning, and found sometimes it would
> be a problem for me to enroll the hardware information, I might not know
> these information or I mixed it up since I have many different-type
> servers, it would be better if we could provide an automatic mechanism so
> the admin can run a command(or something like this), then the reqquired
> hardware information could be return or enrolled into db directly.
>
> I searched in Ironic BP list, and found
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/discovery-ramdisk, very
> similar with my thoughts. It's approved but not started yet, may I be lucky
> to work on this? I think it will be a useful feature for the users.
>
> Thx.
> Jing.

Hi Jing!

Yes, this is on the roadmap for Ironic. I have outlined the requirements in
the blueprint, and more detail is probably needed. Right now, we are
focusing on implementing the essential components of the Ironic project and
reaching functional parity with Nova's Baremetal driver, so new features
like a discovery ramdisk are lower priority. Until the PXE driver is
ported, Ironic does not have the capability to boot any images.

If you want to work on the discovery ramdisk, please start by looking at
the diskimage-builder project. We use that to build the deploy ramdisk. The
first step would be to add a hardware-interrogation element that can be
incorporated into a ramdisk. After that, we will need to consider an
interface for posting that information back to Ironic, and a method for
authenticating it.

Regards,
Devananda