[openstack-dev] [savanna] scalable architecture

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 19:33:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:56 AM, Ruslan Kamaldinov <rkamaldinov at mirantis.com
> wrote:

> This question was asked several times. So we decided to provide a
> detailed response.
>
> 1. The first question is “Why doesn’t Savanna use Heat to provision VMs?”
>
> Generally using Heat underneath for infrastructure provisioning looks
> reasonable. In a tactic perspective there are few factors making Heat
> usage underneath Savanna problematic:
> * Heat stability for Grizzly release. Savanna currently maintains
> Grizzly+ compatibility.

This shouldn't be an issue anymore. Now that we are in Havana

> * Installation of large Hadoop clusters (100+ nodes). Will be
> addressed by proposed architecture changes.

What about heat doesn't work for this?

> * Anti-affinity support for HDFS redundancy in cloud environment

Why can't heat do this

> * Circular dependencies - we should generate ‘/etc/hosts’ for all
> instances in provisioned cluster. We can’t use cloud init for this
> directly. There are a couple possible solutions using Heat, but none
> of them looks like a straightforward solution.

So why not make heat do this better

> * Level of complexity. We try to keep things as simple as possible.
> Adding extra layer will increase overall complexity of the solution.
> In addition both Savanna and Heat under active development changing
> lots of internals and even APIs and will require extra effort to
> coordinate.

But coordinating will result in less duplicate work

> Here is what we’ll do:
> * Create a wiki page with text from this email
> * Create a list of requirements for Heat
>
> Once Heat fulfills all the requirements we will be able and should use
> Heat for VM provisioning.

Now that you have a basic working version of Savana, I would prefer to see
you help make heat fit work for you instead of reimplementing a subset of
what it is trying to do.