[openstack-dev] [Heat] Multi region support for Heat

Bartosz Górski bartosz.gorski at ntti3.com
Mon Jul 29 15:16:09 UTC 2013

On 07/29/2013 09:51 AM, Zane Bitter wrote:
> On 29/07/13 02:04, Angus Salkeld wrote:
>> On 26/07/13 09:43 -0700, Clint Byrum wrote:
>>> Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2013-07-26 06:37:09 -0700:

>> How about we add an actual heat resource?
>>
>> So you could aggregate stacks.
>>
>> We kinda have one with "OS::Heat::Stack", but it doesn't use
>
> (aside: this doesn't actually exist yet, we only have
> AWS::CloudFormation::Stack at present.)
>
>> python-heatclient. We could solve this by adding an "endpoint"
>>   property to the "OS::Heat::Stack" resource. Then if it is not
>> local then it uses python-heatclient to create the nested stack
>> remotely.
>
> Yes, that's what I was trying (and failing) to suggest.
+1. I think it is really good idea and I still like Steve's context
concept. We should use both of them.
So it should be possible to create context as a resource and for each
nested stack specify context.

>> Just a thought.
>>
>> -Angus
>>

>>> If you break that stack up into two stacks, db and "other slow stuff"
>>> then you can get the Output of the db stack earlier, so that is a
>>> solvable problem.
>
> +1

>>> These are all predictable limitations and can be handled at the parsing
>>> level.  You will know as soon as you have template + params whether or
>>> not that cinder volume in region A can be attached to the nova server
>>> in region B.
>
> That's true, but IMO it's even better if it's obvious at the time you
> are writing the template. e.g. if (as is currently the case) there is
> no mechanism within a template to select a region for each resource,
> then it's obvious you have to write separate templates for each region
> (and combine them somehow).
I agree with you. It will be more obvious from the beginning what is
possible and what is not.

>>> I'm still convinced that none of this matters if you rely on a single
>>> Heat
>>> in one of the regions. The whole point of multi region is to eliminate
>>> a SPOF.
>
> So the idea here would be that you spin up a master template in one
> region, and this would contain OS::Heat::Stack resources that use
> python-heatclient to connect to Heat APIs in other regions to spin up
> the constituent stacks in each region. If a region goes down, even if
> it is the one with your master template, that's no problem because you
> can still interact with the constituent stacks directly in whatever
> region(s) you _can_ reach.
>
> So it solves the non-obviousness problem and the
> single-point-of-failure problem in one fell swoop. The question for me
> is whether there are legitimate use cases that this would shut out.
I want to be sure that we are on the same page. By master template you
mean a template that has only nested stacks as resources? Or also other
types of resources (like single server) which will be created in the
region where heat engine is located to which the master template was
sent? I think it would be great if master template contains only of
nested stacks as resources. For each nested stack a context is specified
(tenant/project, endpoint/region, etc.) and heat uses python-client to
create all of them (even for those from the same region where heat
engine is located). In this situation it will be possible to try delete
created multi region stack using different heat engine (located in
different region).