[openstack-dev] Discussing Amazon API compatibility [Nova][Swift]

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Thu Jul 25 22:30:30 UTC 2013

On 07/25/2013 06:11 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Stefano Maffulli wrote:
>> I have seen lots of discussions on blogs and twitter heating up around
>> Amazon API compatibility and OpenStack. This seems like a recurring
>> topic, often raised by pundits and recently joined by members of the
>> community. I think it's time to bring the discussions inside our
>> community to our established channels and processes. Our community has
>> established ways to discuss and take technical decisions, from the more
>> accessible General mailing list to the Development list to the Design
>> Summits, the weekly project meetings, the reviews on gerrit and the
>> governing bodies Technical Committee and Board of Directors.
>>
>> While we have not seen a large push in the community recently via
>> contributions or deployments, Amazon APIs have been an option for
>> deployments from the early days of OpenStack.
>>
>> I would like to have this discussion inside the established channels of
>> our community and get the opinions from those that maintain that
>> OpenStack should increase efforts for Amazon APIs compatibility, and
>> ultimately it would be good to see code contributions.
>
> Like you say, all this needs is people to start putting resources where
> their mouth is and pushing improvements through our regular channels:
> proposing a blueprint, discussing it at our summits, signing up to do an
> actionable piece of work and deliver it in one of our development
> milestones.
>
> I don't think anyone argues that having AWS compatibility would be a bad
> thing, as long as we keep a local API that lets us exhibit features that
> are not (yet) in AWS APIs when those features make sense.
>
> Having a common internal layer upon which the various external APIs can
> plug is also pretty common sense, the historical reason we don't have
> that yet was that nobody signed up to do the work, while at the same
> time Canonical signed up to do the AWSOME proxy. Since apparently this
> effort was abandoned, the road is open again, just waiting for cars to
> pass on it.

If an external proxy (like AWSOME) is what you want, one of those
already exists (at least for the EC2 API).

http://deltacloud.apache.org/

It supports EC2 on the frontend and the OpenStack compute API on the
backend.  I'm not sure how using this compares to the EC2 implementation
in nova, though.

--
Russell Bryant