[openstack-dev] olso-config dev requirement

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Jul 15 15:03:42 UTC 2013

I was looking in to dependency processing as part of some pbr change,
which got me to look at the way we're doing oslo-config dev requirements
again. To start, this email is not about causing us to change what we're
doing, only possibly the mechanics of what we put in the
requirements.txt file- or to get a more specific example of what we're
solving so that I can make a test case for it and ensure we're handling
it properly.

Currently, we have this:

-f
http://tarballs.openstack.org/oslo.config/oslo.config-1.2.0a3.tar.gz#egg=oslo.config-1.2.0a3
oslo.config>=1.2.0a3

As the way to specify to install >- 1.2.0a3 of oslo.config. I believe
this construct has grown in response to a sequence of issues, but it's
complex and fragile, so I'd like to explore what's going on.

The simplest answer would be simply to replace it with:

http://tarballs.openstack.org/oslo.config/oslo.config-1.2.0a3.tar.gz

which will quite happily cause pip to install the contents of that
tarball. It does not declare a version, but it's not necessary to,
because the tarball has only one version that it is. Is there a problem
we have identified where the wrong thing is happening?

I've tested that I get the right thing in a virtualenv if I make that
change from pip installing a tarball, pip installing the requirements
directly and python setup.py install. Is there anything I'm missing?

Monty