[openstack-dev] Not good idea to specify host in EVACUATE API

Chaoyi Huang joehuang.sweden at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 01:54:53 UTC 2013

Hello,

 I found it's not good idea to specify host in calling EVACUATE API for HA
purpose.

In my case, one application includes many VMs, and each of them should run
on seperate host, eg. co-location of VMs is not allowed for application
robust purpose. The VM is created with scheduler hint to avoiding
co-location.

If a host is specified in calling evacuate API,  then the task to find a
proper host (avoiding co-location) has to be done before calling, and the
logic is similar with nova scheduler.

The HA function must reuse the NOVA scheduler logic, but not to duplicate
it outside nova.

Your comment is welcome .

Joehuang