[openstack-dev] HACKING and new-style relative imports

Kieran Spear kispear at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 11:28:02 UTC 2013

Hi all,

There's a review up to make Horizon pass H304 (no relative imports):

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/35664/

Old-style relative imports are dangerous, but I can't think of a good enough reason to forbid new-style imports, e.g.:

from .views import IndexView

instead of

from openstack_dashboard.dashboards.project.images_and_snapshots.views \
      import IndexView

particularly in Horizon where nesting is deep and you otherwise end up with many imports that won't fit into 80 characters. I think if we're going to make the change above the benefits would need to outweigh the effect on readability.

There's some discussion on the review already, but I'd like to hear from a more general audience. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Kieran