[openstack-dev] [OSLO] Current DB status

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Mon Jul 1 16:33:17 UTC 2013

On 07/01/2013 07:07 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-07-01 at 18:59 +0300, Gary Kotton wrote:

>>> What apart from the oslo.config issue do you want clarified?
>> Boris had concerns about the slave database support. He mentioned that
>> the blueprint may be blocked -
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/db-slave-handle.
> It's blocked in the sense that Nova can't yet use oslo.config because of
> the aforementioned issue.
>
>> This patch
>> updates to oslo.config-1.2.0a2 - so it may address the blueprints
>> blocking item.
>>
>> My concern here is about the process. I was under the assumption, and
>> may be wrong here, is that if code is approved in Oslo the is can be
>> consumed by other projects. Over the last few months we have had a large
>> amount of database issues in Neutron and moved to the Oslo DB code to
>> address these.
> Yes, we've had (and continue to have) problems - no project has been
> able to use new oslo.config features because of a series of python
> packaging related issues.
>
> If you're suggesting that e.g. the DB code in oslo-incubator should
> avoid requiring oslo-config-1.2.0, that wouldn't help quantum much since
> the dependency on 1.2.0 was added in order to enable behaviour that
> quantum required.

The Oslo DB code requires oslo.config-1.2.0a2. This config version has
supported for 'deprecated_opts' - which enabled the common DB code to
support Neutron and Nova DB configuration variables.

I was not aware that that the slave blueprint was blocked because it was
waiting for a specific config version (hopefully the Nova DB patch deals
with as it uses the required config). My concern was that Oslo code was
approved in one project (Neutron) and in another it raises question
(Nova). Basically it would be nice to know if there are issues with the
Oslo DB support and if so what needs to be done to address them.

Thanks
Gary