[openstack-dev] Packaging pain tales

Sascha Peilicke saschpe at suse.de
Wed Jan 23 15:22:44 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

recently, https://review.openstack.org/#/c/19957 was accepted
introducing a seemingly tiny change in intra-release versioning. This
however has some impact on packaging.

Currently, at least openSUSE and SLES packages for Grizzly are generated
from intra-release tarballs (i.e. daily published git exports) from
tarballs.openstack.org. These tarballs used to have a top-level
directory named $COMPONENT-$RELEASE, which we could use for generating
RPM spec files like this:

Name: $COMPONENT
Version: $RELEASE+git$DATE.$COMMITSHA1

So a particular rpm release string looked like this:

Version: 2013.1+git.1358761327.b8071bc

With the tiny change mentioned above, we now get this:

Version: grizzly.2.19.g43f8697+git...

This essentially made those tarballs worthless for us since they carry
no version information we can easily use to generate RPM package
versions. Of course we can add another step that translates strings like
"folsom" or "grizzly" back to numbers but changes like these generate
constant pain for downstream packagers. A while ago, we were even able
to use daily git checkouts for package building but for reasons
described in [1][2], we had to move away from git checkouts.

Footnotes:
 [1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/drop-setuptools-git
 [2]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2012-December/003656.html