[openstack-dev] Quantum: plugin testing with VM port without Nova

Isaku Yamahata yamahata at valinux.co.jp
Fri Jan 18 02:01:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 05:40:42PM -0800, Nachi Ueno wrote:
> Hi Yamahata-san
>
> Yes quantum-debug command is intended for integration testing only in quantum.
>
> so What's the difinition of the VM-port?

Naively network port in host that guest VM talks to.
In kvm+libvirt+LibvirtHybridOVSBridgeDriver case, the bridge,
ovs ports and netowrk interface that vif driver and libvirt creates.
qvo, qvb, qbr: vif driver creates
vnet: libvirt creates

> Nowadays, we are using different VIF driver on the nova and quantum.
> But we should be able to use same VIF driver on both of the project.

My first target is LibvirtHybridOVSBridgeDriver, and the next is
LibvirtBridgeDriver.

> May be, another way is to use fake_virt_driver for now.
>
> For Tempest, Miguel is working on adding test cases. So you may
> collaborate with him.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/quantum-basic-api
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/quantum-extended-api

Thank you for the pointer.

> Best.
> Nachi
>
> 2013/1/17 Isaku Yamahata <yamahata at valinux.co.jp>:
> > Hi Openstack developers.
> >
> > I'd like to introduce quantum test cases that excesses VM-port
> > (e.g. live-migration, security group) without Nova running.
> > Devstack and tempest assumes that Nova is running for quantum test.
> > Is that right? Is there any easy way to test Quantum with VM-port?
> >
> > As long as I see, Qauntum has debug-agent and it can be run without nova,
> > but it create port based on Quantum interface driver, and it is unable
> > to create VM-port. So some enhancement is necessary for my goal. Right?
> >
> > Any thoughts and comments?
> >

> > Background:
> > As there are many plugins for software bridge (linux bridge/ovs)
> > in the tree now and probably more coming.
> > Since devstack/tempest assumed nova running right now for testing Quantum,
> > the tests takes long time, it is fragile because of inter-dependence of
> > version/changeset of the each tree. So it has become difficult to test
> > those plugins for software bridge.
> > So I'd like to make quantum tests less dependent on Nova.
> > Thus all the plugin for software bridge benefits from it.
> >

> > Blue Print:
> > https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/integrated-test-without-nova
> > Make quantum test of plugins run without nova (except vif driver?).
> >
> > So make them testable without nova, it will help the development as
> > - it will make quantum test faster
> > - it will make easier to test more advanced functionalities
> >   (live-migration, security group) with each plugins at lower level.
> >   And more detailed test case can be build easily.
> >   e.g. I think, security group is poorly tested right now.
> > - it will make diagnose easier because it doesn't involves guest OS.
> > - If multi compute-node is emulated within single host, it would be desirable.
> >
> > Necessary steps:
> > - replace nova with stub code
> >   probably an agent on each node.
> >   - creates/deletes ports (which maybe calls vif driver)
> > - make quantum existing test work without nova
> >   tempest? Is this worthwhile?
> > - add more tests
> >   e.g. live-migration without nova.
> > - hopefully tests can run on single machine by using name space to emulate
> >   multi host
> >
> > thanks,
> > --
> > yamahata