[openstack-dev] [glance] support for multi-disk OVF packages

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 17:17:42 UTC 2013

> > Folks,
> >
> > I threw this question out on IRC yesterday, moving to the ML to see
> > if anyone has any thoughts on it ...
> >
> > TL;DR: what are the supported glance approach(es) to registering
> > multi-disk OVF packages?
>
> None.
>
> > So say we have an OVF manifest referencing multiple disks, e.g. a
> > couple .vmdk files.
> >
> > Does glance/nova even support the idea of tar'ing up the .ovf and
> > .vmdk files into a single .ova before registering with glance?
>
> Nope.
>
> > Or is the only way to merge the .vmdk files, and register that
> > alone?
>
> Yup.
>
> > If so, does the supposed glance support for the OVF container type
> > really mean anything at all?
>
> Nope.
>
> > IIRC jaypipes proposed many moons ago that the ovf container format
> > be
> > dropped in favor of a new consolidated ova format - did that idea
> > get
> > any traction at all?
>
> Not sure. Would be great to get rid of it, as it's come up numerous
> times on Launchpad Answers.

Thanks for the clarification, sounds like what we have currently is
worse than useless in a sense, as it implies OVF support that just
doesn't exist.

However from an API back-compat point of view, I wonder have we missed
the boat in terms of replacing ovf with ova in the v2 API - or is the
door still open to making changes such as this to the v2 API? (given
that it was still somewhat work-in-progress in the Folsom release)

Cheers,
Eoghan