[openstack-dev] [glance] support for multi-disk OVF packages

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 16:02:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 06:38:11AM -0500, Eoghan Glynn wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I threw this question out on IRC yesterday, moving to the ML to see
> if anyone has any thoughts on it ...
>
> TL;DR: what are the supported glance approach(es) to registering
> multi-disk OVF packages?
>
> So say we have an OVF manifest referencing multiple disks, e.g. a
> couple .vmdk files.
>
> Does glance/nova even support the idea of tar'ing up the .ovf and
> .vmdk files into a single .ova before registering with glance?
>
> Or is the only way to merge the .vmdk files, and register that alone?
>
> If so, does the supposed glance support for the OVF container type
> really mean anything at all?

I don't really know what point it serves, but if we are to explicitly
handle OVF, then we will have to cope with multi-disk OVF packages.
I think unpacking them at glance would probably not be the right
think todo, because it is making assumptions about how a virt
driver will want to consume the OVF. Better to keep it packed in
glance and let the nova virt drivers figure out how they want to
unpack things

Daniel