[openstack-dev] Copyright guidance

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Feb 7 17:55:35 UTC 2013

Hi Monty-

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Mark McLoughlin
<markmc at redhat.com<javascript:_e({}, 'cvml', 'markmc at redhat.com');>
> wrote:

> source code
> corporate

> year.
> you feel
> > >
> > > Timely, we were just having this conversation internally.
> > >
> > > How do I define what a "substantial" change is in source code when
> > > deciding whether to update the year or not?
> >
> > Fun question. Luckily - it's a judgement call. AIUI (IANAL) the question
> > is the same as if the code contributed itself is copyrightable in its
> > own right. It might be related to code size - but I _think_ the easier
> > way to think about it is whether or not there is an actual thought in
> there.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty much my understanding.
>
> > PS. I can easily make a script which replaces all OpenStack LLC
> > references with OpenStack Foundation references ... should I?
>
> I think it makes sense - it makes it clear that this is about the owner
> of the copyright of existing work changing rather than the OpenStack
> Foundation owning the copyright to new work.

Yes, usually I would be wary of a search-and-replace with this broad of
reach, but in this case it is logical. I have seen OpenStack, LLC and
OpenStack LLC so if you can work with each case you should get lots of
accurate coverage.

Thanks for the help Monty!
Anne

Cheers,