[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Blueprint Bind dnsmasq in qrouter- namespace

Shixiong Shang sparkofwisdom.cloud at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 12:58:38 UTC 2013

Hi, Xuhan:

Thanks for reaching out to us for questions! Here are the summary of several key points:

1. Currently dnsmasq is bound to the ns- interface within qdhcp- namespace. If we continue to use this model, then the announced RA has to use the ns- interface’s link-local address as source, based on standards.
2. When VM receives this RA, it will install default gateway pointing to the ns- interface based on standards. In other words, VM will send packets destined to other subnets to ns- interface.
3. However, outbound traffic should be sent to qr- interface, which is created to act as the default gateway for tenant network.
4. In addition, the qdhcp- namespace has no IPv6 route installed. So traffic will be blackholed.

I initially thought about getting rid of entire qdhcp- namespace and only use qrouter namespace. I poked around and nobody could explain to me why we need two separate namespaces. In my opinions, I don’t see the clear value of qdhcp- namespace…... Maybe I overlooked something. But on the second thought, we decided to launch dnsmasq in qrouter- namespace and keep IPv4 dnsmasq in qdhcp- namespace since we didn’t know what else might break.

Please let us know if you have any further questions! Thanks!

Shixiong