[openstack-dev] [Neutron][IPv6] Blueprint Bind dnsmasq in qrouter- namespace

Xuhan Peng pengxuhan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 09:05:11 UTC 2013

I am reading through the blueprint created by Randy to bind dnsmasq into
qrouter- namespace:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/dnsmasq-bind-into-qrouter-namespace

I don't think I can follow the reason that we need to change the namespace
which contains dnsmasq process and the device it listens to from qdhcp- to
qrouter-. Why the original namespace design conflicts with the Router
Advertisement sending from dnsmasq for SLAAC?

>From the attached POC result link, the reason is stated as:

"Even if the dnsmasq process could send Router Advertisement, the default
gateway would bind to its own link-local address in the qdhcp- namespace.
As a result, traffic leaving tenant network will be drawn to DHCP
interface, instead of gateway port on router. That is not desirable! "

Can Randy or Shixiong explain this more? Thanks!

Xuhan