[openstack-dev] [tuskar] How to install tuskar-ui from packaging point of view

Imre Farkas ifarkas at redhat.com
Mon Dec 16 12:49:04 UTC 2013

On 12/16/2013 08:52 AM, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On 16/12/13 03:47, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been working over the last 2 months to get Ironic, TripleO and
>> Tuskar ready for an upload in Debian. However, for tuskar-ui, I'm facing
>> the fact that there's a lack of documentation.
>>
>> It was easy to get Tuskar packaged. If I understand well, it only needs
>> 2 daemons: tuskar-api, and tuskar-manager. Is this right? If not, what
>> did I miss? Is tuskar-manager really a daemon? (I have to admit that I
>> didn't find yet the time to try, so I would appreciate some guidance
>> here)

I think you are right here.

>> As for tuskar-ui, the install.rst is quite vague about how to install. I
>> got the python-tuskar-ui binary package done, with egg-info and all,
>> that's not the problem. What worries me is this part:
>>
>> "Go into horizon and create a symlink to the tuskar-ui code:
>>
>> cd horizon
>> ln -s ../tuskar-ui/tuskar_ui
>>
>> Then, install a virtual environment for your setup:
>
> Add this to debian/links or something?  It sounds like it needs a
> dependency on horizon to make sure that the directory exists.

Not sure how it translates to Debian packaging but you need to
copy/symlink the Tuskar-UI source *inside* the Horizon directory.

>> python tools/install_venv.py"
>
> This means "turn the list of dependencies in the source package into
> dependencies in the debian package", I would think.

Yes, that's correct.

>> 3/ The install.rst has:
>>
>> If everything has gone according to plan, you should be able to run:
>>
>> tools/with_venv.sh ./manage.py runserver
>>
>> and have the application start on port 8080. The Tuskar dashboard will
>> be located at http://localhost:8080/infrastructure
>>
>> does this mean that on top of Horizon running through Apache, tuskar-ui
>> needs to run independently? Why is that? Can't we just have tuskar-ui
>> simply integrated with the rest of Horizon?

Yes, Tuskar-UI runs on top of Horizon. You don't have to create a
separate Horizon+Tuskar-UI installation, it does not run independently
of the existing Horizon installation but you have to modify it.

When you create a symlink into the Horizon source, that makes the
Infrastructure dashboard provided by Tuskar-UI autodiscovered when the
Horizon application boots up. Tuskar-UI creates and additional tab
inside the Horizon application, which will be available at
http://localhost:8080/infrastructure (or on whatever port you set
Horizon up) and at http://localhost:8080/ you can access the Project and
Admin dashboards provided by Horizon.

It's not stated in tuskar-ui/install.rst but this guide is meant to set
up the development environment. It is also worth mentioning that the
current solution is only temporary, in the long term Tuskar-UI will be a
part of Horizon (see the Horizon and Tuskar-UI merge thread).

Imre