[openstack-dev] [tuskar] How to install tuskar-ui from packaging point of view

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Dec 16 03:47:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been working over the last 2 months to get Ironic, TripleO and
Tuskar ready for an upload in Debian. However, for tuskar-ui, I'm facing
the fact that there's a lack of documentation.

It was easy to get Tuskar packaged. If I understand well, it only needs
2 daemons: tuskar-api, and tuskar-manager. Is this right? If not, what
did I miss? Is tuskar-manager really a daemon? (I have to admit that I
didn't find yet the time to try, so I would appreciate some guidance here)

As for tuskar-ui, the install.rst is quite vague about how to install. I
got the python-tuskar-ui binary package done, with egg-info and all,
that's not the problem. What worries me is this part:

"Go into horizon and create a symlink to the tuskar-ui code:

cd horizon
ln -s ../tuskar-ui/tuskar_ui

Then, install a virtual environment for your setup:

python tools/install_venv.py"

This doesn't translate at all into something I can implement into a
Debian package.

1/ tuskar-ui and horizon are 2 different packages, and unless I add the
tuskar-ui into the horizon source, the above cannot be done.

2/ I of course do not use virtual env, and "python
tools/install_venv.py" isn't an option.

3/ The install.rst has:

If everything has gone according to plan, you should be able to run:

tools/with_venv.sh ./manage.py runserver

and have the application start on port 8080. The Tuskar dashboard will
be located at http://localhost:8080/infrastructure

does this mean that on top of Horizon running through Apache, tuskar-ui
needs to run independently? Why is that? Can't we just have tuskar-ui
simply integrated with the rest of Horizon?

In a more general perspective, it'd be very nice if everyone working on
Tuskar kept packaging in mind when writing code and documentation (this
would save a lot of time).

Thanks in advance to anyone helping me to have this Debian package done.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)