[openstack-dev] Unified Guest Agent proposal

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Fri Dec 13 20:13:18 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Dmitry Mescheryakov's message of 2013-12-13 12:01:01 -0800:
> Still, what about one more server process users will have to run? I see
> unified agent as library which can be easily adopted by both exiting and
> new OpenStack projects. The need to configure and maintain Salt server
> process is big burden for end users. That idea will definitely scare off
> adoption of the agent. And at the same time what are the gains of having
> that server process? I don't really see to many of them.

The Salt devs already mentioned that we can more or less just import
salt's master code and run that inside the existing server processes. So
Savanna would have a salt master capability, and so would Heat Engine.

If it isn't eventlet friendly we can just fork it off and run it as its
own child. Still better than inventing our own.