[openstack-dev] Generic question: Any tips for 'keeping up' with the mailing lists?

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 15:05:18 UTC 2013

On 12/12/13 17:52 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>Russell Bryant wrote:
>> On 12/12/2013 11:23 AM, Justin Hammond wrote:
>>> I am a developer who is currently having troubles keeping up with the
>>> mailing list due to volume, and my inability to organize it in my client.
>>> I am nearly forced to use Outlook 2011 for Mac and I have read and
>>> attempted to implement
>>> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette but it is still a lot
>>> to deal with. I read once a topic or wiki page on using X-Topics but I
>>> have no idea how to set that in outlook (google has told me that the
>>> feature was removed).
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is a valid place for this question, but I *am* having
>>> difficulty as a developer.
>>>
>>> Thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this.
>>
>> The trick is defining what "keeping up" means for you.  I doubt anyone
>> reads everything.  I certainly don't.
>>
>> First, I filter all of openstack-dev into its own folder.  I'm sure
>> others filter more aggressively based on topic, but I don't since I know
>> I may be interested in threads in any of the topics.  Figure out what
>> filtering works for you.
>>
>> I scan subjects for the threads I'd probably be most interested in.
>> While I'm scanning, I'm first looking for topic tags, like [Nova], then
>> I read the subject and decide whether I want to dive in and read the
>> rest.  It happens very quickly, but that's roughly my thought process.
>>
>> With whatever is left over: mark all as read.  :-)
>
>I used to have headaches keeping up with openstack-dev, but now I follow
>something very similar to what Russell describes. In addition I use
>starring to mark threads I want to follow more closely, for quick retrieval.
>
>The most useful tip I can give you: accept that you can't be reading
>everything, and that there are things that may happen in OpenStack that
>you can't control. I've been involved with OpenStack since the
>beginning, and part of my job was to be aware of everything. With the
>explosive growth of the project, that doesn't scale that well. Since I
>started ignoring stuff (and "marking thread read" and "marking folder
>read" as necessary) I end up being able to start doing some useful work
>mid-morning (rather than mid-afternoon).

FWIW, I do the exact same thing mentioned above!

1- Open the openstack-dev folder
2- Filter by the projects I'm contributing the most
3- Then filter by TC / ALL / OSSN etc
4- The quick look at other subjects
5- Finally, mark all as read.

I'm pretty sure you can do this with most of the known email clients
out there. FWIW, I'm using mutt+offlineimap+notmuch

Cheers,
FF

--
@flaper87