[openstack-dev] Generic question: Any tips for 'keeping up' with the mailing lists?

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Dec 12 16:53:23 UTC 2013

Excerpts from Justin Hammond's message of 2013-12-12 08:23:24 -0800:
> I am a developer who is currently having troubles keeping up with the
> mailing list due to volume, and my inability to organize it in my client.
> I am nearly forced to use Outlook 2011 for Mac and I have read and
> attempted to implement
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/MailingListEtiquette but it is still a lot
> to deal with. I read once a topic or wiki page on using X-Topics but I
> have no idea how to set that in outlook (google has told me that the
> feature was removed).

Justin I'm sorry that the volume is catching up with you. I have a highly
optimized email-list-reading work-flow using sup-mail and a few filters,
and I still spend 2 hours a day sifting through all of the lists I am on
(not just openstack lists). It is worth it to keep aware and to avoid
duplicating efforts, even if it means I have to hit the "kill this thread"
button a lot.

Whomever is forcing you to use this broken client, I suggest that you
explain to them your situation. It is the reason for your problems. Note
that you can just subscribe to the list from a different address than
you post from, and configure a good e-mail client like Thunderbird to set
your From: address so that you still are representing your organization
the way you'd like to. So if it is just a mail server thing, that is
one way around it.

Also the setup I use makes use of offlineimap, which can filter things
for you, so if you have IMAP access to your inbox, you can use that and
then just configure your client for local access (I believe Thunderbird
even supports a local Maildir mode).

Anyway, you _MUST_ have a threaded email client that quotes well for
replies. If not, I'm afraid it will remain unnecessarily difficult to
participate on this list.