[openstack-dev] Incubation Request for Barbican

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Dec 13 13:37:59 UTC 2013

On 12/13/2013 05:50 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>> $ git shortlog -s -e | sort -n -r
>>    172	John Wood <john.wood at rackspace.com>
>>    150	jfwood <john.wood at rackspace.com>
>>     65	Douglas Mendizabal <douglas.mendizabal at rackspace.com>
>>     39	Jarret Raim <jarret.raim at rackspace.com>
>>     17	Malini K. Bhandaru <malini.k.bhandaru at intel.com>
>>     10	Paul Kehrer <paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com>
>>     10	Jenkins <jenkins at review.openstack.org>
>>      8	jqxin2006 <jqxin2006 at gmail.com>
>>      7	Arash Ghoreyshi <arashghoreyshi at gmail.com>
>>      5	Chad Lung <chad.lung at gmail.com>
>>      3	Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com>
>>      2	John Vrbanac <john.vrbanac at rackspace.com>
>>      1	Steven Gonzales <stevendgonzales at gmail.com>
>>      1	Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
>>      1	Bryan D. Payne <bdpayne at acm.org>
>>
>> It appears to be an effort done by a group, and not an individual.  Most
>> commits by far are from Rackspace, but there is at least one non-trivial
>> contributor (Malini) from another company (Intel), so I think this is OK.
>
> If you remove Jenkins and attach Paul Kehrer, jqxin2006 (Michael Xin),
> Arash Ghoreyshi, Chad Lung and Steven Gonzales to Rackspace, then the
> picture is:
>
> 67% of commits come from a single person (John Wood)
> 96% of commits come from a single company (Rackspace)
>
> I think that's a bit brittle: if John Wood or Rackspace were to decide
> to place their bets elsewhere, the project would probably die instantly.
> I would feel more comfortable if a single individual didn't author more
> than 50% of the changes, and a single company didn't sponsor more than
> 80% of the changes.
>
> Personally I think that's a large enough group to make up a Program and
> gain visibility, but a bit too fragile to enter incubation just now.

There are some other unresolved technical issues making incubation
premature based on our new incubation requirements.  They've made some
nice progress on them already, though.  There's a list here [1].

We've seen in the past that denying incubation didn't do much to help
with visibility and participation.  I think creating a program is a nice
compromise.  It lets us officially bless a mission and creates a place
for people helping accomplish that mission to come together.  Hopefully
this would give other groups more confidence to jump in and start
participating.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican/Incubation#Tasks_for_Incubation

--
Russell Bryant