[openstack-dev] Incubation Request for Barbican

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Dec 13 10:50:12 UTC 2013

Russell Bryant wrote:
> $ git shortlog -s -e | sort -n -r
>    172	John Wood <john.wood at rackspace.com>
>    150	jfwood <john.wood at rackspace.com>
>     65	Douglas Mendizabal <douglas.mendizabal at rackspace.com>
>     39	Jarret Raim <jarret.raim at rackspace.com>
>     17	Malini K. Bhandaru <malini.k.bhandaru at intel.com>
>     10	Paul Kehrer <paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com>
>     10	Jenkins <jenkins at review.openstack.org>
>      8	jqxin2006 <jqxin2006 at gmail.com>
>      7	Arash Ghoreyshi <arashghoreyshi at gmail.com>
>      5	Chad Lung <chad.lung at gmail.com>
>      3	Dolph Mathews <dolph.mathews at gmail.com>
>      2	John Vrbanac <john.vrbanac at rackspace.com>
>      1	Steven Gonzales <stevendgonzales at gmail.com>
>      1	Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com>
>      1	Bryan D. Payne <bdpayne at acm.org>
>
> It appears to be an effort done by a group, and not an individual.  Most
> commits by far are from Rackspace, but there is at least one non-trivial
> contributor (Malini) from another company (Intel), so I think this is OK.

If you remove Jenkins and attach Paul Kehrer, jqxin2006 (Michael Xin),
Arash Ghoreyshi, Chad Lung and Steven Gonzales to Rackspace, then the
picture is:

67% of commits come from a single person (John Wood)
96% of commits come from a single company (Rackspace)

I think that's a bit brittle: if John Wood or Rackspace were to decide
to place their bets elsewhere, the project would probably die instantly.
I would feel more comfortable if a single individual didn't author more
than 50% of the changes, and a single company didn't sponsor more than
80% of the changes.

Personally I think that's a large enough group to make up a Program and
gain visibility, but a bit too fragile to enter incubation just now.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)