[openstack-dev] [Solum] Using Zuul in the Git-pull blueprint

devdatta kulkarni devdatta.kulkarni at rackspace.com
Thu Dec 12 21:39:57 UTC 2013

We followed on the Zuul question in this week's git-integration working group meeting.

mordred has created an etherpad with a high-level description of Zuul and how it might
fit with Solum't git integration workflow

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ZuulSolum

The working group seemed to be coming to the consensus that we want to use a single workflow
engine, as far as possible, for all of Solum's workflow needs.
This brought up the question about, what are really Solum's workflow requirements.

At a high-level, I think that Solum has three different kinds of workflows.

1) Workflow around getting user code into Solum
   - This is the git integration piece being worked out in the git-integration
     working group.

2) Workflow around creating language pack(s).
   - The main workflow requirement here involves ability to run tests before creating a language pack.
     There was some discussion in language-pack working group about this requirement.

3) Workflow around deploying created language pack(s) in order to instantiate an assembly.
   - The deployment may potentially contain several steps, some of which may be long running, such as
   populating a database. Further, there may be a need to checkpoint intermediate steps
   and retry the workflow from the failed point.

mordred mentioned that #1 can be achieved by Zuul (both, push-to-solum and pull-by-solum)
We want to know if #2 and #3 can also be achieved by Zuul.
If not, we want to know what are the available options.

mordred, thanks for the etherpad; looking forward to the digram :)

thanks,
devkulkarni