[openstack-dev] [qa][keystone] Keystoneclient tests to tempest

Brant Knudson blk at acm.org
Mon Dec 9 17:50:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2013-12-09 11:07:50 -0600 (-0600), Brant Knudson wrote:
> [...]
> > Is testing multiple versions of keystoneclient actually worth it?
> > If the other projects don't feel the need for this then why does
> > Keystone? It's actually caught problems so it's proved useful to
> > Keystone, and we're making changes to the client so this type of
> > testing seems important, but maybe it's not useful enough to
> > continue to do the multiple version testing. If we're going to
> > support backwards compatibility we should test it.
> [...]
>
> Well, at a minimum we should be testing both that the tip of master
> for the client works with servers, and also that the tip of
> server branches (master, stable/x, stable/y)  work with the latest
> released version of the client. There are already plans in motion to
> solve this in integration testing for all clients, because not doing
> so allows us to break ourselves in unfortunate ways.

This isn't the testing that Keystone's client tests do. Keystone's client
tests verify that the client doesn't change in an incompatible way. For
example, we've got a test that verifies that you can do
client.tenants.list() ; so if someone decides to change "tenants" to
"projects" then this test will fail.

I don't know of any specific testing that verifies that the client works
against older (stable/*) servers. Maybe it happens when you submit a change
to stable/ later.

- Brant