[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Questions around Development Process

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Dec 7 04:53:19 UTC 2013

Hey, you've already got a bunch of answers, but FWIW:

a) I think it's fine to do a few big patches deleting stuff you don't
want. You can always bring it back from git history. OTOH if you bring
it back it will be reviewed again :).

b) I think UI + API + pythonclient in parallel is ok, but:
 - please get tempest (which implies devstack too) API tests up as
quickly as possible. Tempest provides the contract definition to
detect regressions in API usage. You can't deploy a production cloud
on top of devstack, but you can use Heat and Keystone and Glance and
Ironic APIs sensibly, which will let meaningful tests of Tuskar API.
I'm not sure where the JS / Horizon tests fit precisely, but again -
lets make sure that we have functional tests in Tempest as quickly as
possible: this is crucial for when we start 'Integration'.

Cheers,
Rob

On 7 December 2013 04:37, Tzu-Mainn Chen <tzumainn at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> We're starting to work on the UI for tuskar based on Jarda's wireframes, and as we're doing so, we're realizing that
> we're not quite sure what development methodology is appropriate.  Some questions:
>
> a) Because we're essentially doing a tear-down and re-build of the whole architecture (a lot of the concepts in tuskar
> will simply disappear), it's difficult to do small incremental patches that support existing functionality.  Is it okay
> to have patches that break functionality?  Are there good alternatives?
>
> b) In the past, we allowed parallel development of the UI and API by having well-documented expectations of what the API
> would provide.  We would then mock those calls in the UI, replacing them with real API calls as they became available.  Is
> this acceptable?
>
> If there are precedents for this kind of stuff, we'd be more than happy to follow them!
>
> Thanks,
> Tzu-Mainn Chen

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist