[openstack-dev] [Solumn] Suggestion about usage of mailing lists

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Wed Dec 4 22:39:17 UTC 2013

Boris,

Thanks for expressing your concern about this. For those reading the Solum topic on this list, we really want this to be a community building resource were we are free to discuss ideas and as a primary mechanism for gauging consensus. Applying restrictions to how the list is used by project contributors will actually limit discussion and reduce our level of engagement. That's just bad.

Solum is in a rapid growth phase, and lots of discussion is required, including coordination of our design efforts. There are many divisions to be made, and even with three hours of scheduled meetings every week, there is just not enough time to make them all on IRC. We are treating the ML as a first class resource to make decisions that are not practical to make interactively in our regularly scheduled meetings. This is one of the peculiarities of starting a widely collaborative project from scratch, and sourcing input from a very diverse team.

We do have a wiki page where people can find recurring meeting times, and the schedule for things once scheduled. Please recognize that schedules have been changing as new working groups are forming, which is requiring us to coordinate them by email.

If what you really want is to ignore everything but major project announcements, I suggest you filter out [Solum] on openstack-dev and look for announcement messages on the regular openstack mailing list when we begin to engage the user community. That way you can clue in from time to time. We can also post a project status section on the wiki so you can get a sense of it at a glance. That's on my to-do list.

Lot's of meaty email on this topic is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Adrian

On Dec 4, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Boris Pavlovic <bpavlovic at mirantis.com<mailto:bpavlovic at mirantis.com>>