[openstack-dev] [Hacking] License headers in empty files

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Dec 4 16:18:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-02 11:37, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28 2013, Julien Danjou wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 28 2013, Sean Dague wrote:
>>
>>> I'm totally in favor of going further and saying "empty files
>>> shouldn't
>>> have license headers, because their content of emptiness isn't
>>> copyrightable" [1]. That's just not how it's written today.
>>
>> I went ahead and sent a first patch:
>>
>>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59090/
>>
>> Help appreciated. :)
>
> The patch is ready for review, but it also a bit stricter as it
> completely disallows files with _only_ comments in them.
>
> This is something that sounds like a good idea, but Joe wanted to bring
> this to the mailing list for attention first, in case there would be a
> problem.

For reference, I believe the primary concern was that this would require
the removal of a few author comments in empty files, such as this:
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/network/security_group/__init__.py#L18

I don't see a problem with that (the files with actual code also have
the author comment, so it will still be clear who wrote it, and of
course Git knows all of this too), but I agree that this is not
something we want to do without giving people the opportunity to discuss
it.

-Ben