[openstack-dev] [heat] Heat mission statement

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Tue Aug 27 22:10:26 UTC 2013

On 27/08/13 23:13, Robert Collins wrote:
> I think there is some confusion about implementation vs intent here
> :). Or at least I hope so. I wouldn't expect Nova's mission statement
> to talk about 'modelling virtual machines' : modelling is internal
> jargon, not a mission!

So, I don't really agree with either of those points. Nova, at its core,
deals with virtual machines, while Heat deals with abstract
representations of resources. Talking about models in the Heat mission
statement seems about as out of place as talking about VMs would be in
the Nova one. And "model" is not a term we use anywhere internally. It's
not intended to be internal jargon (which would be one level of
abstraction below Heat-the-service), it's intended to be at one level of
abstraction _above_ Heat-the-service.

That said...

> "Create a human and machine accessible service for managing the entire
> lifecycle of infrastructure and applications within OpenStack clouds."

Sounds good enough.

- ZB