[openstack-dev] [heat] Heat mission statement

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Aug 27 21:13:37 UTC 2013

On 28 August 2013 06:54, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
> We had some recent discussions regarding the Heat mission statement and
> came up with:
>
> "To explicitly model the relationships between OpenStack resources of all
> kinds; and to harness those models, expressed in forms accessible to both
> humans and machines, to manage infrastructure resources throughout the
> lifecycle of applications."

Bingo!

> The ideas, iterations and some discussion is captured in this etherpad:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/heat-mission
>
> If anyone has any remaining comments, please speak now, but I think most of
> those involved in the discussion thus-far have reached the point of wishing
> to declare it final ;)

I think there is some confusion about implementation vs intent here
:). Or at least I hope so. I wouldn't expect Nova's mission statement
to talk about 'modelling virtual machines' : modelling is internal
jargon, not a mission!

What you want, IMO, is for a moderately technical sysadmin to read the
mission statement and go 'hell yeahs, I want to use Heat'.

"Create a human and machine accessible service for managing the entire
lifecycle of infrastructure and applications within OpenStack clouds."

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist