[openstack-dev] Incubation Request: Marconi

Kurt Griffiths kurt.griffiths at rackspace.com
Wed Aug 21 22:41:49 UTC 2013

Technical Committee Members and OpenStack Contributors,

As you may already know, over the last seven months, contributors from a variety of companies and backgrounds have been designing and developing the Marconi project, a highly-scalable and redundant messaging service.

Marconi was proposed and discussed at the Grizzly design summit to address a critical gap in the OpenStack portfolio. Since 2010, we've seen increasingly-large companies adopting OpenStack for their increasingly-complex, distributed applications. Such applications often rely on message queueing to decouple components, but OpenStack currently provides no solution for doing so as part of its integrated release.

Consequently, OpenStack end-users and operators have been forced to either piece together queuing systems on their own, or look outside the open community to proprietary options like Amazon's SQS. This not only duplicates effort, but also reduces application portability between OpenStack deployments.

Therefore, we would like to request that the Marconi project be considered for incubation to become an official OpenStack project.  Our application is now available on the OpenStack wiki for review:

    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Marconi/Incubation

We really appreciate your time and consideration, and look forward to your feedback on the project!

-- Kurt G. (on behalf of the Marconi team)