[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Handling provider removal

Eugene Nikanorov enikanorov at mirantis.com
Mon Aug 19 22:51:13 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I'd like to continue the discussion about this.

I think we have the following questions to answer:
1) What should be the workflow of provider removal for the admin?
2) Do we allow 'update' operation on provider attribute?
3) Do we allow removing provider for users?

My take on these:
1) There are two options for the admin. Before restarting neutron-server
with provider removed from conf, they should either:
 - use script to get all resources and filter them by provider. Since
provider technically is a relationship, it can't be done via CLI, so in
fact admin need to filter pools 'manually' (e.g. have some sort of script).
Disassociate each resource from provider.
 - use special API call that will go over all associations with provider
removing them, and doing 'undeploy' operation. I think it's more convenient
way.

Although the patch that has been on review implied the first way of
removing the provider.

2) I think we need to support it.
As simplified form for H-3 we could only allow updates 'no
provider'->'provider'

3) I think we need to support it as well, as there could be various reasons
for users to remove provider.
While there is no provider, resource is handled by 'no-op' plugin driver,
which mere responsibility is to complement db operations of the plugin.
That also means that no-provider resources are fully operable.

Speaking about the patch which is on review, I'm planning to make following
changes:
- implement association of pools and providers within update operation
instead of member action
- implement 'disassociate' admin-only operation, that probably will be some
call on 'providers' collection.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Eugene.