[openstack-dev] [Glance] Replacing Glance DB code to Oslo DB code.

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 22:43:40 UTC 2013

On 08/18/2013 06:08 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> In my opinion (and just an opinion that I know everyone doesn't share) ORM layers are bulky, restrictive and overly complicate and confuse the reader of the code (code is read more often than written) and require another layer of understanding (a layer is useful if it adds good value, I am not sure sqlalchemy ORM layer does add said value).

The usefulness of SQLAlchemy in this case is its ability to abstract
away the different database backends used in both development and
production environments (SQLite, MySQL, and PostgreSQL typically, though
I'm sure folks are running on other backends). The usefulness of the ORM
over raw SQL is, of course, the ability for the ORM to provide a
singular interface for the different SQL dialects that those underlying
backends support.

If everyone was using PostgreSQL or everyone was using MySQL, there'd be
less of a point to using an ORM like SQLAlchemy's. Instead, you'd use a
simple db abstraction class like what's in Swift (which only uses
SQLite). But, one of OpenStack's design principles is to be as agnostic
as possible about underlying deployment things like database or MQ
infrastructure, and one of the ramifications of that is abstraction
layers...

> What are the benefits in your mind??

There are not many benefits to ORMs (IMO) other than the abstraction of
underlying storage systems. I think it's unfortunate that -- due to the
very early use/support of Redis as the backend storage system for Nova
-- that the uber-abstraction DB API (as Mark W points out... a
procedural API) exists in Nova, Cinder, and other projects. Other than
Keystone and Ceilometer, which need to support non-RDBMS storage
backends like LDAP or MongoDB, I would have thought the SQLAlchemy
abstraction layer and model would be perfectly fine as *the* DB API in
Nova, Glance, Cinder, etc.

But alas, there's another API on top of the already-abstracted
SQLAlchemy DB API...

> But this may just be me ranting since I don't like layers that seem to add little benefit, especially when most of the openstack projects put a big procedural  API.py (or more say in novas case) over the ORM layer anyway.

Yeah, I don't like the additional API on top of the SQLAlchemy API
either -- procedural or not. For Keystone and Ceilometer, I can see the
point of it. For the other projects, I don't.

My point to Mark W was not that I preferred a procedural approach to an
object-oriented one. My point was that I would hope that the direction
was not to swap out the procedural abstraction DB API for an
object-oriented one; instead, we should scrap the entire abstraction DB
API entirely...and just use SQLAlchemy.

Best,
-jay