[openstack-dev] Skipping tests in tempest via config file

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Aug 14 20:51:10 UTC 2013

On 14 August 2013 14:10, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I proposed a change to tempest that skips tests based on a config file
> directive [1].  Reviews were inconclusive and it was requested the
> idea be discussed more widely.
>
> Of course issues should go upstream first.  However, sometimes test
> failures are triaged to a local/platform problem and it is preferable
> to keep everything else running by skipping the problematic tests
> while its being worked on.

There are arguments for and against having testr manage skipping.
Testr definitely could do that, but should it? I suspect it's case by
case. Skipping if you're on a small memory environment is really a
test runner problem - you can probe for memory and skip. Skipping
because Python2.6 doesn't run a bunch of tests likewise - it's
internal to the test runner.

Skipping because of a policy the test runner can't know about sounds
like something testr can/should know about.

-Rob
--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist