[openstack-dev] Osl and dangerous code merging

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 10:49:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:39:44AM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> What do you mean by "dangerous code merging" in the subject? The body of
> your mail doesn't make any reference to whatever "danger" you're seeing.
>
> On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 14:16 +0400, Boris Pavlovic wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Could somebody answer me, why we are merging oslo code in other projects
> > and don't use
> > git submodules (http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Submodules)
>
> The idea of using submodules has come a few times. I don't have a
> fundamental objection to it, except any time I've seen submodules used
> in a project they've been extremely painful for everyone involved.
>
> I'd be happy to look at a demo of a submodule based system for projects
> to use code from oslo-incubator.

submodules certainly could work as a way to avoid the cut+paste
approach we currently do. I agree though that they do add an
extra layer of pain & suffering for developers who don't fully
understand what they're doing. We use them in libvirt and try
to hide the pain behind clever scripts which attempt to keep
the submodule properly synced, but we still get pretty frequent
problem reports from devs who've managed to get themselves into
a mess with the submodule state.

If we want to improve our interaction with oslo then IMHO more
effort should be spent on turning bits of oslo-incubator into
stable, standalone modules, removing the cut+paste need entirely.

Regards,
Daniel