[openstack-dev] [qa] What is the purpose of stress test in tempest?

Koderer, Marc m.koderer at telekom.de
Mon Aug 5 11:40:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,

After some refactoring work in tempest/stress I would like to raise a general
question since I have the feeling we have different opinions about the purpose
of tempest stress test.
Giulio already put this topic on the agenda for the next QA meeting and I just
want that we use the time in between to think about the problem ;)

Please have a look to the discussions in:
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/39752/
  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/38980/

IMHO a stress test is not a independent test area (like api-tests, scenario
test etc) it's just a way how tests are processed. So in theory any small
API-test could be used as a stress test and any scenario test could be used
too.

I see two use cases for stress tests:

  - As a developer I want to find bugs that occur under load (like raise conditions)
    --> Leads to many small and concurrent api tests
  - As OPS/QA I want to generate load that simulates real life load in a
    production-like system
    --> Leads to concurrent scenario test

Kind Regards
Marc

DEUTSCHE TELEKOM AG
Digital Business Unit, Cloud Services (P&I)
Marc Koderer
Cloud Technology Software Developer
T-Online-Allee 1, 64211 Darmstadt
E-Mail: m.koderer at telekom.de
www.telekom.com

LIFE IS FOR SHARING.

DEUTSCHE TELEKOM AG
Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr. Ulrich Lehner (Chairman)
Board of Management: René Obermann (Chairman),
Reinhard Clemens, Niek Jan van Damme, Timotheus Höttges,
Dr. Thomas Kremer, Claudia Nemat, Prof. Dr. Marion Schick
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 6794
Registered office: Bonn

BIG CHANGES START SMALL - CONSERVE RESOURCES BY NOT PRINTING EVERY E-MAIL.