[openstack-dev] [Oslo] oslo.version and pbr

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sun Aug 4 17:41:56 UTC 2013

Hey all!

Currently, there is runtime version handling code in pbr. It's been a
cause of concern for some folks because it means that pbr becomes a
runtime rather than just a build time dependency - so the suggestion has
come across that we split it out into its own library.

This becomes even more important, because I'd also like to take the
extra version handling code that's in nova (that allows for version
override files in /etc that the distributors can drop in) and add it to
the mix. That code as currently written depends on oslo.config - and I
definitely do not want to make pbr depend on oslo.config.

So - the proposal is:

- make an oslo.version library based on the current code in pbr
- bring the nova version code over, and keep its depend on oslo.config

That way, pbr can go back to being a build-time need - and the people
who want the runtime version discovery code probably won't mind also
consuming oslo.config.

Also, now that pbr doesn't need setuptools-git or d2to1 any more, I
think as soon as the version code is split into oslo.version, I'd like
to release a 1.0 of pbr and call it both done and API stable.

Sound decent to everyone?