[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Ceilometer and notifications

Sandy Walsh sandy.walsh at rackspace.com
Thu Aug 1 12:27:43 UTC 2013

On 08/01/2013 09:19 AM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01 2013, Sandy Walsh wrote:
>
>> Hmm, if notifications are turned on, it should fill up. For billing
>> purposes we don't want to lose events simply because there is no
>> consumer. Operations would alert on it and someone would need to put out
>> the fire.
>
> So currently, are we're possibly losing events because we don't use the
> standard queue but one defined by Ceilometer upon connection?
> We can't consume events from the default notifications queue or we would
> break any tool possibly using it. Each tool consuming needs a copy of
> them.

Right, that is a concern. Within RAX we have two downstream services
that consume notifications (StackTach and Yagi) and we've configured
nova to write to two queues. --notifications_topics can take a list.

> Isn't there a way to queue the message in exchanges if there's no queue
> at all?

I don't think so, but if that was possible it would solve our problem.

AFAIK, amqp only uses the exchange as a dispatcher and all storage is
done in the queue ... but I could be wrong. I vaguely recall there being
a durable exchange setting as well as durable queue.

I'll do some investigating.