[openstack-dev] [Nova] Feature proposal deadline

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Apr 29 21:18:54 UTC 2013

On 25 April 2013 01:40, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> In the past we have not advertised a specific deadline for when features
> must be *proposed* to be considered for the release.  For grizzly, we
> did start -2ing proposals that came in late, but it was not consistently
> enforced or advertised in advance.
>
> Since the feature freeze is September 4, I propose a feature proposal
> deadline for Nova two weeks in advance, on August 21.
>
> Thoughts?

Sorry for the dud post; I blame gmail. Here is a better one.

The CD session at the summit actually proposed a semi-alternative
approach: land incomplete features, and have 'inclusion' of the
feature actually be turning it on by default [or documenting it as
finished for things like drivers]. In this model you actively push
back on things of size, regardless of time. Then you can better assess
the risk of each landing, and freezes can be much less about what
features are in as they are about the amount of risk we're willing to
permit for each landing.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>