[openstack-dev] [OSLO][RPC] AMQP / ZeroMQ control_exchange vs port numbers

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Wed Apr 24 13:47:22 UTC 2013

Discussing in regard to changing the ZeroMQ ipc directory,
and "allow to cast to other any control exchange"
https://review.openstack.org/27351
https://review.openstack.org/27346

Basically, the fact that one can deploy each project on a different port
number with ZeroMQ is as close an equivalent (and best practice) as one may
get to AMQP's control_exchange.

Even if we add artificial support for control_exchange to the ZeroMQ driver
(which is possible), this won't do Ceilometer any good if people deploy
ZeroMQ on different ports for different projects. Then, you'll need to add
a port= kwarg to cast/call/notify, in addition to the control_exchange.  In
fact, it seems likely that people will want to deploy ZeroMQ on different
ports for different projects, and we might want to do this by default, so
it *will* be a problem.

Perhaps the best solution here is to bake in a numeric representation for
each control_exchange? We'd need to manage these for each core/incubated
project to prevent overlap. We already do this for the control_exchange,
although as a string there is little cost to doing so. A bit more effort
would be needed for tracking port assignments.

--
Regards,
Eric Windisch