[openstack-dev] [Heat] A concrete proposal for Heat Providers

Alex Heneveld alex.heneveld at cloudsoftcorp.com
Fri Apr 26 11:24:57 UTC 2013

D+ here too.  seems unanimous.  (a bad mark at school but here a good
thing!)

this captures the single biggest thing i think most of us care about:
composition / more flexible re-use.
and does it in a manageable incremental way.

in the interest of separating issues, these are two other areas which
are mostly independent but i think
also very important:

* intuitive DSL -- something easier to write and easier to read. two
offenders which it seems not hard to
fix are long type names eg "OS::Nova::Server" (for which could introduce
supertypes/aliases eg "server"?),
and embedded scripts/mappings (which a bundle could alleviate eg ZIP as
per Thomas's suggestion)

* modelling relationships -- if we can support typed relationships
between components (resources)
then we have a leg-up both for auto-wiring and for acting on wait
conditions at a finer granularity.  this
makes the descriptions smaller and more portable, makes deployment
faster, and allows more use cases.
(i've experimented with modelling this as requirements and fulfillments,
which seems parsimonious and
natural, but that's part of what we need to figure out!)
     as an example, here are two use cases i believe we would struggle
with (people would have to roll
their own co-ordination; but please correct me if i'm wrong):
** some of the hadoop distros need to know the ip's of a quorum of
servers in order to seed the
config for those servers; and
** some databases require special connectors installed at the client
(e.g. install php_mysql at the
wordpress node iff the database is mysql -- a conclusion from TOSCA is
that if this logic lives in a
relationship/requirement type PhpDatabaseRequirement then we can reuse
it, as opposed to
baking in java+php+ruby+etc support into all database resources, or
mysql+db2+oracle+etc
support into all appserver resources)  [hope this is clear, please ping
me if not]

but we need to iterate on these and meanwhile we need to make progress!  so:

+1 to the small focussed separate blueprints Zane proposes

--a