[openstack-dev] Live migration/resizing summit talk

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Apr 25 20:01:43 UTC 2013

I just wanted to ensure that this doesn't get lost so am cc'ing others for more details.

I remember in either the mothballing session or the host migrate session that there was talk about how to do live migration and resizing in a way that does not involve shared ssh keys.

I'd like to start a wiki at least to catch the ideas that were talked about, since at y! its a big issue (we can't use live migration/resizing if we have to allow unlimited hypervisor<->hypervisor connectivity). I can go into the reasons as to why that is the case, if that’s useful but some of this was mentioned in one of those sessions.

I remember there being talk about possible solutions, something along the lines of a external entity (orchestration/conductor… whatever) creating a session key for said hypervisors, then allowing communication between those hypervisors to perform said operation for a limited period of time. That’s one approach, said orchestration/conductor could also open a secure tunnel and tell the hypervisors to use said channel (and then said orchestration/conductor thingy could close that channel automatically…) for communication.

This is a very interesting change, so more feedback is always welcome :-)

-Josh