[openstack-dev] blueprint proposal nova-compute fencing for HA ?

Leen Besselink ubuntu at consolejunkie.net
Mon Apr 22 22:32:34 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:02:45PM -0400, Lon Hohberger wrote:
> On 04/22/2013 08:09 AM, Leen Besselink wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > As I have not been at the summit and the technical videos of the Summit are not yet online I am not aware of what was discusses there.
> >
> > But I would like to submit a blueprint.
> >
> > My idea is:
> >
> > It is a step to support VM High availability.
> >
> > This part is about handling compute node failure.
> >
> > My proposal would be to create a framework/API/plugin/agent or whatever is needed for fencing off a nova-compute node.
>
> > The implementation of the code that handles the fencing could be implemented in different ways for different environments:
> >
> > - The IPMI-code that handle baremetal provisining could for example be used to poweroff or reboot the node.
>
> Hi,
>
> This sounds familiar :)  These have been integrated in to several
> projects, including Pacemaker and oVirt:
>
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fence-agents.git

Ahh, of course, that is a good idea. Thanks.

It is also packaged in Debian/Ubuntu.

I even had it checked out on my desktop, so I had seen it before. And I should have
known better. :-)

So where would the code that calls such fence-agents best fit into OpenStack ?

Or maybe this is an other new service in OpenStack (like there aren't enough already) ?

I guess it would run on a machine where you would also find something like the Nova
baremetal deploy helper service.